Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Open Wide!!!

Benjamin wouldn't appreciate the title of this blog post as he has heard that command a lot this month as we have had to make several visits to the dentist for a stubborn root canal procedure. As I write this, Cameron and Ben are at the hopefully LAST appointment of this long procedure and problem. On the up side Benjamin is on pain medicine and hopefully this procedure will be completely without the awful screams and broken hearts of a mommy and daddy having to hold him down. Horrible month I tell you! This week I was at the park reading my Bible and watching Micah play. When I looked up I saw two South Koreans approaching me with curious smiles. They lacked the white shirt, black name tags, perfectly combed hair and bikes so I knew they were not mormon missionaries about to pounce. I was however confronted with a new religion that day. Some of you may be familiar with it but I was completely thrown off when they began to tell me that I needed to believe in "Mother God" in order to go to heaven. She is the "bride" in the Bible and anytime the word "she" is found in scripture it is speaking of her. Yes like most cults, they use one verse of the Bible here and there and completely out of context in order to create an absurd religion. We spoke in Bulgarian for about 1 hour and I invited them to continue our discussion over dinner as guests at our home. I pray they will take me up on the invitation as my heart broke over their confusion and commitment to false teaching. I have friends and have spoken to several people of other beliefs and backgrounds and for the most part I can appreciate an argument that can hold a little bit of water but their cup was full of holes and their words fell through those holes quickly. The great thing about having a Biblical conversation, actually an apologetic conversation defending the faith and truth of God's word, helped me improve my knowledge of what needs to be studied. It was a great wake up call for me to know where I stand in my Bulgarian ability to teach the Word of Truth and I found that my sword of truth was like a wet noodle that just was capable of slapping them around a little rather than being able to pierce into the heart of man. I am now sharpening my sword and trying to make it as it should be, an effective tool of truth that will pierce into the heart the saving grace of Jesus Christ our Lord. The Word of the Lord is active and I'm sure that even my wet bulgarian noodle sword can be used for His glory but I want to be a responsible vessel of truth and would appreciate your prayer support as I memorize and read the word in Bulgarian. Another cool moment this week was sharing my testimony with our language helper and child care helper, V. I told V. about my experience with the "Mother God" missionaries and was able to tell her what I believed. V. then stated, "My daughter told me I should read the Bible but I don't even know how or where to start. Maybe we could do that together." I told her that was a great idea because I really needed to learn to read the Bible in Bulgarian better and understand the different words in the scriptures. Please pray for the South Koreans to come for dinner and for V. to read and become overwhelmed with the Love her Savior has for her. "I AM YAHWEH YOUR GOD WHO BROUGHT YOU FROM THE LAND OF EGYPT. OPEN YOUR MOUTH WIDE, AND I WILL FILL IT" Psalm 81:10

1 comment:

  1. I remember meeting some Koreans on my college campus who believed the same thing. Praying right now for those requests! Love you, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete