Monday, May 6, 2013

The Creepy Centipede

Growing up in Texas, I admit, we've seen our fair share of crazy wildlife, insects and big hair. This week we spent time in a city 3 hours from our "home" of Sofia. It was during this wonderful week of ministry that I met one of God's little parts of creation that like the mosquito, I would be happy if He removed from the earth. This is a picture of the centipede I am familiar with in Texas: Equally scary and poisonous and an unfavorable houseguest but maybe because I'm fond of snakes, he's never made my skin crawl with fear. I've always looked at him like a snake with a lot of legs and fangs. But this week I met the "House Centipede" or in Bulgarian the "Стоножка" which literally means 100 legs but is translated in a dictionary as centipede. I would never refer to the Стоножка as a common centipede but rather a silver fish who cross mated with a daddy long leg spider and then fell into a bowl of radiation and morphed into this: Their legs are creepishly long and thin and made me look at the ceiling and shiver with fear as it moved around the room. I've researched this new little discovery and supposedly the house centipede, like his cousins, is poisonous but supposedly does not have the fang power like his cousin to deeply penetrate the skin and will thereby leave a small blister similar to a bee sting. The centipedes we saw varied in size and width (legs can be quite long) and they RUN SUPER FAST! One research site stated that a researcher noted that the house centipede usually runs towards women at high speeds because they are wearing a dress and the centipede looks to hide under it. YIKES!! This is why the grandma generation that I grew up with more frequently began breaking the traditional dress code of only long skirts and dresses and started wearing slacks to church! I'm also positive that the argument of christians dancing was started when these dress wearing woman started hopping around like mad rock stars when those centipedes shot under their dresses. There is always a simple explanation for some of the most heated legalistic debates ;) I'm just happy that I wear pants to church in this city and will not experience the frightening experience of one of this creatures taking cover under my flowing cotton dress. LIVE ON LEVIS! And for all the american friends of mine who will quickly say "Whew! I'm so glad we don't have those here!" Well you will shiver and quiver to know THEY'RE THERE!!!! Sweet dreams to all of you who will now have a new face in bad dreams...Стоножка!!

No comments:

Post a Comment