Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Yoga or Jesus

Ice is a common enemy of mine and it often waits for me to walk on it as I travel to my teacher's house for Bulgarian lessons. Most of the winter I have given ice its due victory and have taken the car to my lessons but today I walked.

Walking to the metro station I noticed a man standing next the steps with tears in his eyes. In his hands he held x-rays containing several pictures of a head. I stopped and asked him if he was okay and he said no. I asked him why and he began to tell me about his illness. When moments like these occur I know God has set up these special meetings because it is rare to find a complete stranger and dive into personally deep conversations. He told me his name was Lybchominev and began to pour out his heart regarding the sickness in his head and how it is affecting all of his body and ability to work. I am assuming it is cancer but since I do not know the word for cancer I can only convey in the blog what I did understand from our conversation. He told me of his problems financially due to his illness but that he had hope because of what he read on the internet. He showed me a picture on his phone of an Indian god who gives healing through yoga. He had research so much about it on the computer and he believes through yoga he will find healing. When he gave me an opportunity to speak I told him that I didn't know everything yoga promises to give a person but that I know everything my Savior promises. I told him that Jesus is the only way to God and this is written in the Bible. He said that he believed through buddah and other gods we can find our way to the same God. We talked about how in the Bible it is written that even though this idea sounded good it is not true because Jesus Himself says that ONLY He is the way to God. I asked Lybchominev if I could pray for his health in only the name of Jesus and he allowed me to. When I finished he told me "I looked at you and you were like an angel! You had light all around you!" I told him that I was no angel but that I am a child of God and that he did not let me walk past him today because God wanted me to tell him just how much He loved him. Lybchominev started crying and said "thank you for being my angel and I know He loves me." I invited him to church on Sunday and he said he would try to come someday. Please pray for Lybchominev (Лубчоминев)and for his salvation as he struggles with beliefs in yoga and for his health. Pray that he will come to church and that there he will find Bulgarian Christians who can better communicate the love of Christ to him. I am in tears because I so much want to share my heart without the barrier of my lack of language inability. Oh how it breaks my heart to see a need and not have the ability to quote scriptures in that moment. Please pray for my language to constantly increase drastically each day. Praise God that he can use an obedient heart in spite of a broken tongue that is unable to speak all that it desires.

2 comments:

  1. Just prayed for Lubcominev and will continue to do so. I know what you mean about the language barrier thing... but I'm so thankful you were faithful to share the love of Christ with him through it!

    Oh, and the Macedonian word for cancer is "rak". Same as the word for lobster. Baha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! And know that He would not have put you there with Lybchominev if you had not been able to communicate everything that was necessary. Jesus, who loves Lybchominev and wants to heal his soul, is not regretting that you did not know the word for cancer.

    I will pray for him, though... for healing, and that the Lord blesses you with another chance to see him!

    ReplyDelete